Monday, September 11, 2006

Everyday Heroes

On a lighter note, there was a boy on the bus who risked his arm to save a tree. Not kidding you. The back door of the shuttle caught a tree in it when it closed, so the driver opened the door, and this guy risked his arm to make sure the tree made it out alive. It was pretty entertaining for all those who were on the bus.


On a not so much lighter note, I want to thank those who are serving our country. As everyone knows, today marks 5 years since the terrorist attacks on the Pentagon and World Trade Centers. I remember that awful day. Being in 9th grade, I didn't understand what was really happening, but I knew it couldn't be good. Once I realized what the Trade Centers were and who blew them up, my heart went out to those inside. I remember the newscast when the WTC crumbled to the ground. The one year anniversary at Hunter High was emotional as well. We had an assembly on the football field where we let up hundreds of balloons in memory of 9/11. On September 11, 2001, the United States became reunited.
Today the United States are back in old habits of radicalism and prejudice. No longer do we mourn for those who lost their lives in the attacks on Pearl Harbor, the WTC, the Pentagon, and many other incidents. No longer do we pull together with all of our might to stop terrorism. It is now, "Let our troops go! They're useless!" and "We are self-reliant and can't afford to help anyone else!" My question is this: do these people realize how many times we have been helped by other countries? Do they realize that all humans are the same species and God loves us all? Apparently not. I say, "Hold our flag and our country high. Help all those who need it." So what if we don't have all the resources? Encourage other countries to pitch in some more too. Maybe if we all work together, we can overcome war and hatred. We can become friends, creating pathways to success for all those who want to take it. We can be together as one.
I thank God for the knowledge I have that one day there will be peace on earth. One day we will live to serve other people, and nobody will be without. Poverty and hunger won't exist. Children will play in a den of lions without a trace of fear. In fact, fear will not exist, because love cannot abide in fear. I pray for those who lost their lives 5 years ago today. I pray for their families and for all those personally affected by the tragedies that have occured because of this war. I pray that America will have a change of heart and begin reaching out to one another again, not just in times of need, but at all times. I pray that God will not be omitted from our society because without Him we will fail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, you are one amazing daughter!