Monday, January 14, 2008

Chicken

I'm beginning to dislike chicken. Not because of the taste or advantages that it has, but because of a couple of experiences we have had recently. A couple of weeks ago, Mark and I decided we were going to have chicken cordon bleu for dinner. We had a couple of leftover frozen ones that we'd bought at the store. As we sat down and started munching on our dinner, Mark saw that the chicken wasn't fully cooked! I still get a nasty feeling in my gut just thinking about it. What brings this discussion up is what happened today. We didn't have time to come home from school for lunch today and we'd forgot to pack lunches this morning. Therefore, we were forced to eat at the university cafeteria. I've eaten there before and it wasn't so bad, so I wasn't too worried. Well, I pick up a spicy chicken sandwich, and our other items, we pay for it then go start to eat. Of course, when Mark tasted my sandwich he caught that the chicken wasn't fully cooked!! GROSS!!! I was disgusted. Naturally, I took my sandwich back to where I got it to request a new one. The man was pretty good about making sure my next one was cooked. However, he ticked me off. Instead of just apologizing to me and running to get a new one right away, he sat around, first, thanking me for telling him instead of his boss. I'm guessing he doesn't have a very good reputation with his boss or else he wouldn't have been so grateful. Second, he talked my ear off about how he only has time to check a couple of patties from each batch and sometimes a few bad ones slip through. That is NOT something you should tell your customer! Does he really think I'll eat there ever again? HECK NO!!! Not if I already know my food might not be safe. I was fuming. It's a good thing I didn't have much time or else I might have gone and talked to someone about the food safety situation in that cafeteria.
That reminds me of the time I was at Mount Rushmore with my family and we got ice cream cones. The naive server picked his nose with his gloves on while I was watching, then dug his hands into the ice cream, dished my cone (I saw that finger touch the ice cream I was supposed to eat) and he handed it to me!! I didn't eat that ice cream; I made someone else get me a new one. Seriously, guys, can we use some common sense?!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhh gross!! i remember the ice cream incident- mel or aaron couldn't believe that we insisted on a new one- not sure it was much better though!! i have lots of beef if you want any!!

Anonymous said...

i think I just threw up a little in my mouth =)